Saturday, January 09, 2010

Albums of the Decade

So while I was making a Yeah Yeah Yeahs CD, I came upon an article that lists the top 50 albums of the past decade, with The Strokes coming in at number 1 with 'Is This It'.

While I appreciate that music is very subjective and no ones list will ever be the same, I will attempt to make my top 10 albums of the last decade. My list should be quite interesting because it is similar to the above list yet not.

Top 10 List in no particular order.

The Strokes - Room On Fire
I'm not sure why NME have 'Is This It' above this album. In my opinion this one is clearly the best album, so much more refined. However, 'You Only Live Once' from the album 'First Impressions of Earth' is my favourite song from them.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
It was a toss up between this and 'Show Your Bones'. Definitely my favourite band with a female lead singer and perhaps the find of the Noughties.

The Killers - Hot Fuss
Very surprised that this album...nay...this band was not on the top 50 list. Two of my favourite songs from this album aren't even singles!

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The first British Band to get me excited about British music since Oasis and Pulp. A very good listen and amazing for their debut album.

Muse - Absolution
'Plug In Baby' is the song that got my attention, the album 'Absolution' made me fall in love with them and their concert at the St. James Theater blew me away.

Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob
This band surprised me with this album. I got it on the cheap and thought I would take a gamble. I scooped the pot.

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
I think the first song I heard of their was 'Helena' and it was a music video. The song didn't grab me but the video clip. It is gothic and reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins. When I saw the lead Singer Gerard Way, I thought it was Billy Corgan with hair. I never looked back.

Radiohead - Kid A
Everybody was up in arms when this album came out. What were Radiohead doing!!! What happened to the catchy pop/rock songs. Well I got 'Kid A' as soon as it came out and am still listening to it now.

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say, That's What I'm Not
Another British band that has made it big thanks to Jools Holland. Raw and Loud. Just how I like it.

Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
I just couldn't leave them out of it! Their first album in 7 years. Sure it wasn't really the Smashing Pumpkins of old without D'arcy and James Iha but it was a still good listen. If you didn't know, Smashing Pumpkins are releasing 44 new songs (all for free), one at a time on their website.

Honourable Mention:
The Hives - Your New Favourite Band
Technically a best of compilation but were relatively unheard of before this album.

No comments: