Thursday, April 30, 2009

Walking contradiction

To do your job well, you have to practice what you preach. A priest who regularly sins (deliberately) would not be a very good priest. He would be a leader in his community and to show such disregard would not bode well for the community.

I read today that a British Nurse got her residency application declined by Immigration New Zealand because she was too fat even though we have a long-term skill shortage in the nursing department. She weighed 134kgs with a waist of 131cm. Her BMI score was 55.2, which puts her in the morbidly obese category.

I say, good on you Immigration NZ. There reasoning was that she would cost NZ tax payers $25,000 over 4 years for health care. 

I would rather think they denied her because she was a walking contradiction. How can she give health advice when  she herself is a walking cardiac arrest? She claims to be fit...but how can you be at 134kgs?

To put it into perspective, a huge prop in Rugby would be about 129kgs. Big props would average 120kgs. Linebackers in the NFL are also around 115kgs (250lbs). Now these guys make a living from being big, they exercise, they drink protein shakes, they go to the gym, they eat 5-6 times a day....these guys are fit. 

So don't tell me you are fit. You are not fit. You are the antithesis of fit.

Would you want a dumb teacher teaching your kid? What about an obese doctor telling your son to lose weight?

On a lighter note, here is a poem by 19th century philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche

I hate to follow and I hate to lead.
Obey? Oh no! And govern? No indeed!
Only he who dreads himself inspires dread.
And only those inspiring dread can lead.
Even to lead myself is not my speed.
I love to lose myself for a good while,
Like animals in forests and the sea,
To sit and think on some abandoned isle,
And lure myself back home from far away,
Seducing myself to come back to me.



No comments: